Build your kiddo's brain (and yours while you're at it!) with these top Superfoods.
Brain foods are foods that are high in antioxidants, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals. Eat them daily for good health and smarts!
- Avocado - It's actually a fruit, you know! And this power fruit encourages healthy blood flow which helps with healthy brain function. Eating a quarter of an avocado a day is a great way to up brain power.
- Berries - One of the top Superfoods anywhere on the planet! They're packed with antioxidants to help prevent memory loss and reduce the effects of stress on the brain. Acai berries, blueberries and strawberries have been shown to slow the decline of cognitive functions as we age.
- Eggs - The choline in egg yolks help with memory and the entire egg is a good source of protein which is key to better cognitive abilities.
- Fish - One of the best sources of essential fatty acids (EFAs), fish contains the things our brains can't function without. There are two types of EFAs, omega-6 and omega-3. We get lots of the omega-6 variety from eggs, nuts and green vegetables. But omega-3s are harder to come by, except when we turn to fish. They're found in high numbers in wild salmon, sardines, mackerel and other deep-water fish.
- Nuts - It's the essential fatty acids in nuts that helps your brain to communicate, cell to cell. Plus they're packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Almonds, brazil nuts, hazelnuts and walnuts are particularly perfect.